The Vancouver Rise returned from their three-match road trip to take on AFC Toronto, and they did not disappoint, securing a 2-1 win in front of their fans at Swangard Stadium.
The win meant the Rise leapfrogged over Toronto in the NSL standings to sit in third place after five matches.
“In possession, we were way more on the ball and in control as well. And being patient, even though we can be even more patient. I think that we controlled most of the first half there and having two good goals,” Rise head coach Anja Heiner-Møller said.
The Rise started on the front foot, using the width of their new 3-4-3 formation to positive effect. Anna Bout and Mia Pante, on either flank, stretched the field in an effort to pull Toronto out of the midfield.
“When we change formation, we need some time in that as well, but with this formation, if we check our positions, we do have good angles to play from. And I think the team will grow even better from these positions,” Heiner-Moeller said.
That space paid off early with a goal in the 12th minute. Tori Tuneth took advantage of Toronto’s midfield gap and slotted a forward pass into Latifah Abdu.
Toronto defender Ashley Cathro intercepted the ball, but she was unable to control it. Abdu pounced on the ball, turned into the 18-yard box and unleashed a near-post shot that beat Danielle Krzyzaniak.
Abdu was involved in the second goal for the Rise. The Vancouver striker was brought down inside the 18-yard box, forcing referee Alain Ruch to award the home side a penalty.
Quinn stepped up and buried their second penalty of the season.
The second half saw Toronto push higher up the pitch. The Rise maintained shape and stymied most of the visitors’ attack.
However, they were unable to hold it off until the end. Cloey Uddenberg grabbed a consolation goal deep into stoppage time off a corner.
But there was not enough time to mount a fightback. The Rise held on for the 2-1 win and their first over their Ontario rivals this season.
Rough opening 30 minutes for Toronto
Toronto head coach Marko Milanović talked about adversity in their post-match press conference. He didn’t place blame on their numerous injuries, instead stating that the start to their season ultimately falls on him.
“We’re obviously disappointed with this performance, especially with the first 30 minutes. I thought we weren’t ourselves at all. Vancouver dominated and scored two goals, and were totally deserved. I thought it was our weakest 30 minutes since we’ve been a club,” he said.
Toronto has struggled in front of goal this season ever since the opening match, where they beat the Rise 3-2 on April 24 at Swangard. Since then, they have only managed two goals in three matches, including this afternoon.
“There’s going to be some lulls like this in the season,” Milanović said of the start so far. “We had them last year, too. We’re confident this group will come out on top.”
Width the key for the Rise
The 3-4-3 formation change has enabled the Rise to command the wide areas of the pitch over the last two matches. In turn, players such as Anna Bout and Mia Pante have increased their offensive effectiveness in unleashing dangerous balls for strikers like Abdu.
“It takes some time…with also a lot of new players, and figuring out where do we have our strengths and applying that to the game. But also the connections out there. Again, I don’t think just one player is making that difference. I think it’s partnerships out there, and with the opposite movements and creating space,” Heiner-Møller said.
Heiner-Møller acknowledged that it took some time to get into the season last year and that this season has been similar. But she stated that as understanding between the players and with coaches grows, their style will grow as well.
Up next
The Rise head back out on the road to face the Montreal Roses on May 30.
Kickoff is at 11 a.m. PST.



